Modern Family

Merrilee
Administrator

What age and level is this clip for? Topics? Useful language? Cultural differences? Humor? What’s good about this clip? How would you use it for teaching, etc.?

Re: Modern Family

Wookyung Ahn
I love this show so much that I used to watch it every day. And I appreciate sarcastic jokes and their perspective towards life. Life brings you down sometime, but these three different families stay together and wisely deal with hardships and breakdowns.

Compared to other episodes, this particular clip was pretty easy. Still, language structure, cultural difference and dialect can make it difficult for young learners to understand. I think this clip would be appropriate for adults with intermediate or upper level. Topic discussed here was making new friends once you get older.

There were some useful language expressions: 'you’ve just moved in?' 'handy with tool' ' a great guy to hangout' As for cultural differences, tree house can seem new to Koreans because most of us live in apartments. On the other hand, most Americans live at houses. Nevertheless, Koreans don't usually have casual conversation with strangers. Even when you recognize your neighbor, you don't say hi. Hence, the fact Andrea and Phil haven't met for 8 years although they live right next door is something Koreans can relate to.

There were fun factors too, such as 'Brother from another mother', 'gives me street cred’. The good thing about this clip is that you can learn different contexts for example, casual conversation with neighbors and different types of jokes. And you can also learn the difference between how African-American speaks and Caucasian American speaks.

I would use this clip for prediction activity. I watched this episode but my memory is blurry. But I think Phil’s son, Luke asked for a tree house before this scene, and you can sense that Andrea kind of mean and lost interest in Phil. So I can ask what happened before and after this clip.

Re: Modern Family

Gwang-Hun An
I remember that I tried to watch modern family series without subtitle to improve my English.
To sum up, It's too hard to watch it without subtitle.. T.T I mean I failed.

Actually, I want to focus on cultural difference.
Phil as a father in this TV shows is quite easy going and tries to get close and familiar with their kids.
And I think most parents in the U.S are similar to Phil.
On the other hand, parents here in Korea are quite strict and rigorous.

I think I can use it for teaching by talking about cultural difference.

Re: Modern Family

Hyunsook June Yoon
Hi, Wookyoung and Alex.
Thank you for sharing. I haven't watched Modern family before but now I want to try. I think there are not many chances for us to take a closer look into family life or relationship between friends in another culture. Moreover, I think when we speak in English we need to know American culture in order to be successful. This kind of video will provide students with a decent cultural knowledge of the United States.

Re: Modern Family

Choi Kyong A
hi~~Woo Kyoung~!
It's too late response to the post.
I had watched Modern family before but it's a little difficult to listen to and grab the words they are talking about. At that time I focused on improving my English ability so I'd better just enjoy watching it.
As Alex said, it is appropriate for adults (intermediate) and needs to show the subtitle for checking the comprehesion. Like  all your idea , we can teach cultural differences and some words they are really speaking each other.