Learning styles

Merrilee
Administrator

In the first lecture this week, we talk a little bit about learning styles: Visual, Auditory, Tactile/Kinesthetic. Which are you? How do you think it affects your use of multimedia?

An Auditory Learner

Hyunsook June Yoon
This post was updated on .
Hi, everyone. I am just going to break the ice by telling you about my learning style. I think I am an auditory leaner because when I am preparing for an interview or a test, I talk a lot. That is why I prefer to stay home and study very late at night having nobody around me so that I can freely talk to myself. I know I might look silly and weird talking to myself, but it really works for me.

For instance, when I have an exam and if there are many phrases or new words I need to memorize, I take out my phone and record my voice. First, I will record the meaning and then matching English phrases or words to help put them in my memory. This is how it works. While hearing the meaning, I quickly guess the right answer and check whether I get it right or not by listening to my recorded voice. It also helps me manage time effectively, because I can study on subway or anywhere else if I have my earphones. Even lying in bed, I take a listen to it before I fall asleep. Lastly, when I have an interview, I always record myself with my phone. I monitor myself and give myself feedback. I save the files from day one so that I can compare them and make sure I make progress each week. Like an old saying, practice makes perfect, this tactic has been very helpful to me preparing for my exams and interviews. Thank you for reading my story and I cannot wait to hear about your learning style.

I am a visual leaner

Hyunchung
I like a visual aid to understanding, so most of my studying includes a laptop or cell-phone for watching lectures.
Even watching TV, If I plan to take a test, I normally watch lecture by using cell-phone simultaneously.
And I like writing in classes. I am really busy to take note from professor's explanation and summarize the textbook.
It makes me feel doing learning. And I feel a sense of relief after the class. If I don't have any notes during the class I feel frustrated and sometimes I blamed myself. I learned that writing is a visual learning style through the professor's lecture. It is helpful to understand myself. I have usually thought that I am significantly obsessed by writing. But there is a reason^^
This visual tendency of my learning style lead me to use multimedia very frequently. Especially, in Korea, there is lots of technology here. I am lucky^^
by Hyunchung

Re: Learning styles

Choi Kyong A
I am a visual and auditory learner.
I take lots of notes and I like doodle and I mainly take lessons to get a licence of new field or to start my study again. Therefore, my use of multimedia have a positive influence on my study.
When I read out the book, I move my lips to hear words in my head and I remember my words easier by repeating them again and again.

Re: An Auditory Learner

Jiselle Rim
My learning styles is very similar to June. I’m an auditory preferred learner especially for the language. When I prepared TOEFL in 2008, I tried to memorize all the hard words with talking myself. It was very effective way for myself because I could listen my voice as well which made me more focused.

I also love to use visual material to learn languages. It is helpful to remind again also for the long term. For example, I used to read cartoon or magazines to have better understanding of USA culture and society. It made me more active and fun way to learn.

Re: Learning styles

Heewon Park
I also prefer visual and auditory learning styles as many of you said before.
Especially in language learning, tactile/kinesthetic is somewhat not matching well with real use of language, I think. More talking about my case, I used to watch many videos such as movie, sitcom and short cut of newscasting in English in order to absorb the language itself. That materials are real in use and they are not boring (the aspect of interest is very important^^)  so visual things are the most effective way to learn about language to me. It is also helpful using images and pictures which is relevant to the laguage because visual materials are more memorable than just text explanations.

Re: Learning styles

Wookyung Ahn
I consider myself more of an auditory learner, but I am somewhat kinesthetic learner.
Listening to something always help me learn better or faster sometimes. Therefore, I could totally relate to June's comment. I got a goose bump! :):) I do the same when I have an interview or important speech to make! I either audio record or video record myself to reflect and revise. And it can be really handy on public transportation. Although it could have been more useful if I'd gotten feedback from others, I was too  ashamed to share them with others. haha I sometimes talk by myself being caught up with ideas that I think is important and relevant. My mom always gives me the look when I do that, but it does help me to brainstorm or memorize.

Like I discussed above, I also have some traits of kinesthetic learner. Moving around and demonstration while studying significantly improves my learning process. When I move my body, I feel like it expands my  brain meme. Furthermore, I get easily distracted, but body movements improve my attention span.