Boat Song

Merrilee
Administrator

Topics? Useful language? How would you use it for teaching, etc? J

Boat Song

Hyunchung
1. Topics? Love

2. Useful language? - boat(pronunciation/ I want to compare to word 'vote')
                             - afraid; synonym: scared, frightened, fear, terrified
                                                  <->courageous; synonym: brave, daring  ///Noun: courage
                             - Do you know _Noun or Sentence_?
                             ex) Do you know me? Do you know my love? Do you know the bird?
                                   Do you know I love you? Do you know this mobile phone belong to me?

3. How would you use it for teaching?  I want to use this for beginner level students. The words are very simple and the expressions are repeated many times. When students sing a song a few times, they can be familiar with most sentences and phrases. I hand out the script after listening this song because they are beginners they need to focus on listening and speaking not reading and writing. If they feel comfortable to listen it(I think it may be 3times listening is appropriate to comprehend for students), then I explain the useful words and phrases.
I write down English lyrics of the song. If you need it, refer to it

If you were a boat, my darling
A boat, my darling
I would be the wind at your back
If you were afraid, my darling
Afraid, my darling
I'd be the courage you lack
If you were a bird, then I'd be a tree
And you would come home, my darling to me
If you were asleep, then I'd be a dream
Wherever you are, that's where my heart will be
Do you know we belong together?
Do you know my heart is Yours?
If you were the ocean, I'd be the sand
If you were a song, I'd be the band
If you were the stars, then I'd be the moon
A light in the dark, my darling for you
Do you know we belong together?
Do you know my heart is yours?
Do you know we belong together?
Do you know my heart is yours?
Do you know we belong together?
Do you know my heart is yours?
by Hyunchung

Re: Boat Song

Hyunsook June Yoon
Thank you Stephanie for the lyrics.  I agree with your opinion that this song can be used for beginner level students. However, I also think this song can be used for upper-intermediate or intermediate students. I would use it for middle school students after they learned conditional sentences. Reflecting on my experience, students are very confused after they learn conditional sentences. For example, when expressing something that is untrue in the present, simple past is used in the if-clause. Moreover, 'were' is used for both singular and plural subjects. They also need to learn all the modals in past tense: would/ could/ should and so on. I think it is important for students to see how this really works in reality. In this song, there are so many good examples.

If-clause (simple past), result clause (would + simple form)
If you were a boat, I would be the wind at your back.
If you were a bird, then I would be a tree.
If you were afraid, I would be the courage you lack.
If you were asleep, I would be a dream.
If you were the ocean, I would be the sand.
If you were a song, I'd be the band.
If you were the stars, I'd be the moon.

The song only uses simple words such as stars, ocean, moon, sand, band, but has really good meaning for the teenagers too. By singing along this song, they can practice and internalize and eventually use conditional sentences fluently.

Re: Boat Song

Heewon Park
I also think the topic of this song is 'Love' and the languages in the lyrics are quite useful and they are very basic words for the students who are learning the target languages at first.
I use it for teaching with some activities like expression of each word to make a pair or group and sing together.It would be good for the biginner to draw their interests about learning language~