Bad Use of PPT

Merrilee
Administrator

Bad Use of PPT
In the lecture I mentioned some of my pet peeves with PPTs (i.e. too much text on screen). As we’ve talked about, adding technology to a lesson does not always make it better. I’m sure you have seen some bad uses of PPT. So what do you think are the pitfalls to avoid when using PPT?

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Wookyung Ahn
I’ve seen many bad uses of PPT and I also made some bad PPT myself. However, I would like to talk about one of the most embarrassing presentation experience. It was my very first presentation at University in the U.S, and I was taking ESL courses at that time. My English was awful and I also had anxiety issue with public speaking. Therefore, I thought if I made a PPT with all the text I needed during presentation, then I would be good to go.

In my head, it was perfect plan, but it turned out to be the opposite in reality. Although I had countless practices so I was able to convey naturally without looking at my PPT slides, nobody was paying attention what I was saying. Moreover, evaluating my PPT based on criteria was included on their grading, so they couldn’t afford to focus on what I had to say.

From this experience, I learned that I should first analyze audience and the content. If the content isn’t relevant to the audience, then they would less likely pay attention to you. Therefore, to make it more informative and relevant, I started to write less on PPT slides, talk more. And I also made plan B so that I can tweak a little based upon audience responses.

To sum up, making relevant content to both your audience and the course, summarizing text, making visually, auditorily, kinesthetically (if possible) appealing, not using animation functions( just because you know how to use them) can help avoiding pitfalls of uses of bad PPT.

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Hyunchung
Wookyung
I've also seen many bad uses of PPT and I totally agree with the difficulties in making well-organized PPT
Everybody wants to be Steve Jobs, when we do first presentation. But everybody recognize that even making PPT is not easy. I think time and practice makes better PPT. In my case, when I make an presentation I couldn't memorize the exact orders. So I sometimes use PPT as an guidelines during the class. Especially, when I have never experienced about the specific subject, I always reference the ppt.
It has many problems. For examples, since I watch the screen many times, I can not make an eye contact with students so I couldn't draw students attention. And mostly, when I use PPT as a guidelines, there are lots of sentences for explanation. It makes students boring. I think good PPT is based on simplicity. The more concise PPT is, the more interesting students are.
by Hyunchung

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Hyunsook June Yoon
Hi, Wookyoung and hi, Stephanie! I read your stories and I guess the bottom line is "less is more" and make relevant and informative ppt for your audience.

I also want to add a suggestion on using ppt in class. When I was a student I really hated when I needed to copy everything from the slides and I couldn't pay much attention to what my teacher was saying. Plus, it was a tedious manual job for me. I knew I didn't have to write down every single letter from the slides but I also thought I did not want to miss ANYTHING important. Therefore, if ppt materials contain lots of important content, I think it is a good idea to provide ppt related handouts for students so that they can take notes and listen to their teacher rather than writing down what's on the screen. Moreover, if ppt materials will not be on the test, then make it clear it will not be on the test, or students like me will desperately try to write down everything and not listen to you.

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Choi Kyong A
This post was updated on .
In the lecture, we need to keep in mind that "Less is more " and "When it doubt, leave it out" to make good ppt material.

Here is my example of bad ppt I made for my high school students.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx6Bm-xlojP5LXozZk9IT3NPY1E/view?usp=sharing

This ppt was used for teaching "Passive form" in grammar lesson. Most of students think it's difficult to change an active sentence into a passive sentence. So I had to make this kind of ppt material to help students understand easier. Of course, I know this is really bad ppt because there is too much content to deliver and isn't  simple.
However my point for making grammar ppt was that I wanted to help students practice making passive sentences more and improve their grammar skill.
Sentences in the texbook aren't presented as visualized forms rather than in ppt screen so unavoidably I had to make this ppt material with the sound.

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Choi Kyong A
hi~~Stephanie!
 I also feel like you when I use PPT for learners, I watch the sentences on the screen many times
so I can't concentrate on students' eyes  completly.
but I believe you are a great teacher and good at making the best ppt for learners.
Not to make students bored, we should memorize whole sentences even the steps!

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Gwang-Hun An
How are you Kyoung-A?
I've checked out your ppt.
I like your ppt since it has green color board.
So it's much more comfortable to take a look at this.
Also, Adding the whole index on the first page of ppt can be a good way of
making students focus on material.

Re: Bad Use of PPT

Heewon Park
Most of you already mentioned some of the misuse of PPT and I also had an experience
(making too much content in PPT slide) like what Kyong A had before.
I think that simple is the best way in making PPT for students to deliver lecture effectively.
In addition, the background color is also important thing to be considered.
Sometimes, it would be good to make colorfully designed PPT to draw attention from students,
but using too much showy or intense color in PPT makes student feel uncomfortable.